I was looking for some dairy-free and healthy whipped cream and figured, why not just use some coconut whipped cream? Besides, I use coconuts in most of my cooking. I even added a dollop of the homemade whipped cream recipe on my pancakes, banana splits and even cupcakes.
How to Make Coconut Whipped Cream
1. Refrigerate 1 can of coconut milk ) or fresh coconut milk for at least 48hrs ( use a brand that is BPA free and additive free)
I make my own coconut milk, so it was pretty simple to achieve the same results with a can of milk. In the picture below this is coconut cream that settles when coconut milk is refrigerated.
2. Scoop off the coconut cream. The cream will be very thick and should be easily skimmed from the top leaving a water residue below.
3. Place cold coconut cream into a bowl and whip it with an electric mixer.
4. Whip until coconut cream is fluffy. Feel free to add vanilla extract or your sweetener of choice to flavor this whipped cream.
Some extra tips:
- Adding a little maple syrup & vanilla flavoring to really boost the flavor.
- If the whipped cream is not firmed up enough, you may not have refrigerated your coconut milk long enough.
- Any water below the cream can be added to smoothies instead of tossing it 😉
Have you tried making your own homemade coconut whipped cream? How did it turn out for you?